1. MARINE LITTER IN THE ATLANTIC AREA
Gathering and assessing data, knowledge and gaps regarding marine litter in the Atlantic Area. Identification and mapping of key stakeholders, relevant initiatives, and good practices.
- Report and interactive map on marine litter data, gaps and recommendations
- Report and map of good practices and stakeholders
- General overview of economic impacts: case studies and policy recommendations
2. MONITORING AND DATA MANAGEMENT
Reinforcement and support of harmonized monitoring of marine litter in the framework of the Marine Strategy Framework Directive (MSFD).
- Interfaces and apps to store and analysis data
- Improvement of monitoring methods
- MSFD indicators for ingestion and entanglement and monitoring strategy
- Study of harm caused by cotton buds and cigarette filters
- Study on marine litter as a Non-Indigenous Species vector
3. MAPPING AND MODELLING OF MARINE LITTER
Development of sub regional or regional maps of hotspots of floating litter based on the circulation of floating masses of marine litter.
- State of the art on marine litter models
- Marine litter transport modelling tool
- Maps of hotspots
- Maps of influence of river and land based sources. Maps of influence of ocean based sources
- Marine litter reduction scenarios
4. TACKLING MARINE LITTER
Contributing to the reduction of the presence of marine litter in the Atlantic Area in collaboration with marine stakeholders.
- Best practices for waste management on-board and in ports
- Fishing for litter protocols and case studies
- ALDFG (Abandoned, Lost, or Discarded Fishing Gears) removal protocols and case studies
- Best practices for beach litter clean-up for local authorities
5. AWARENESS RAISING
Raising awareness on a number of local and regional stakeholders about the sources, impacts and solutions for marine litter and on how they can actively contribute to prevent, monitor and reduce it.
- Awareness raising packages adapted to local actors and contexts
- Awareness raising actions in the 5 countries: Workshops, meetings, videos, flyers, etc. targeting different audiences: local authorities, policy makers, scholars, fishermen…